New Year, new start. That’s what everyone always says, right? There are lots of areas of my life where I’m truly happy. Others where I’m happy enough – for now – and don’t need so much of a new start, just a bit of a change. And others …. well let’s just say a new start sounds great.
I basically never make New Year’s resolutions because I’m rubbish at sticking to them, so I figure, if I don’t make them, then I’m not letting myself down.. but as I’ve taken on more responsibility at work over the last few years, and in my personal life (buying a flat, getting married), I’ve realised it’s officially time to start being accountable for my life and Get. Shit. Done.
So, here are my promises to myself for 2015. I’m promising myself this year. Not just resolving to do them – for some reason, the idea of breaking a promise to myself seems so much worse. I’ve not put them in any particular order.
- Create a routine for exercising 3 times a week – and stick to it. It’s the most popular resolution apparently, so let’s just get it out of the way first. Last year I just about managed to go twice a week for quite a while. My problem though lies in when I need to break that routine, I find it virtually impossible to complete the rest of the week. Or fortnight. Or month. So this year, I’m just going to do better. I’ve been getting sick quite a lot lately, which is really unlike me – and I think being fitter in general can only help.
- Be the best wife I can be. That sounds a little sad – but bear with me, as it’s the most important to me. I think sometimes I take my husband for granted, because – well – he’s just naturally awesome (awwww). He cooks, he cleans – he just takes care of me. It’s time I started doing more than just the finances and admin around here. He’ll need to be more open to letting me do it of course – not doing everything before I get home would help! – but at least to begin with, I’m going to schedule certain tasks on certain days, which will get us both off to a good start until it becomes more natural.
- De-clutter our life. I love our flat – it’s fairly large for a one bedroom flat, but it’s got next to no storage… and I have a LOT of stuff. I tried – and failed – to get rid of some of it last year, but it’s really starting to get me down. It needs to go. I want to finish this year without the mountain of boxes in the corner of our bedroom; with a fairly empty wardrobe; bookshelves that I can actually fit new books on; cupboards in the kitchen that we can actually use… the list goes on.
- Finish some outstanding flat upgrades. I want to get done some of the flat ‘upgrades’ that we’ve been putting off since we moved in – our new cooker is already ordered (woohoo!) so what remains includes.. double-glazed windows; a fan for the bathroom; new flooring in our bedroom; maybe even the granny tiles in the kitchen (*gasp*); maybe repaint the bedroom after the de-clutter too.
- Do things that I love more. That includes this blog – though I admittedly have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it. When I first started it’s just because I was bored one weekend while my husband was watching football.. but I quickly realised how much work is involved, particularly when you’re comparing your blog to those who have been doing it for years. That’s just stupid, and unfair on myself.. so this blog will just be a reflection of me. Laidback (I’m not promising regular posts!) with occasional bursts of energy, maybe even the occasional flash of brilliance, but mostly just – me.
So there you go. I’m going to try to check in every few months to see how I’m getting on.
What are you promising to do this year?
Happy New Year everybody!